Searching for components
Implant components are primarily identified on the NJR database by their reference number, ie their catalogue or ID number.
The quickest and easiest way of finding the implant you require is to complete the details in the Search Components section of the data entry system. Entering the implant's reference number (or even just first three or four sequential digits of the reference number) will retrieve the component's details.
An alternative way of finding an implant component on the NJR database is by completing the Locate Components section of the data entry screen. The supplier and full component description will be needed. This method of finding a component takes a little more time but it still allows you to find the correct implant when the reference number is not known.
If you are having trouble finding a component on the NJR database, please try the following:
- double check the details and re-type the component number to reduce the possibility of simple typing errors
- check that you are searching on the REF number and not the LOT number by mistake
- try searching on the first three sequential numbers or letters of the REF number on the label
- re-enter the component number excluding any spaces, hyphens, dashes or full stops
- look at the different suppliers' formats by using the 'Locate Components' data entry screen in the Data Entry System or download the 'Examples of Supplier Product Codes' file to view a sample of the different formats used.
For detailed guidance on how to search for and locate components on the NJR data entry system, please refer to the Data Entry System Reference Manual.
All custom made components should be recorded. To add a custom made component via the NJR data entry system go to the locate components screen. The following information will need to be added:
- LOT number, enter the correct batch number
- supplier, select the appropriate supplier from the drop-down menu
- type, select the component type, e.g. femoral stem
- sub-type, select the option 'Custom made component' and then 'Add'.
Special note: No reference number is required to input a custom made component.
There are several reasons why you may not always be able to find a specific component on the NJR database, for example:
- it may be a brand new product which has not been entered into the NJR system
- it may be an old product which is no longer supplied
- a typing error may have occurred whilst entering the component details
- the code on the component label may have a slightly different format from the component code on the NJR database, for example, hyphens or full stops may be included
- the component 'REF' and 'LOT' numbers may have been interchanged during data entry.
If the component that you are looking for is not already in the NJR then you will need to request it.