Minimum Data Set Version 7
MDSv7 has been live since the beginning of June 2018.
(Please see below for some details on improvements already made based on your feedback.***)
For information on the changes in MDSv7 and to download the new data forms please go to:
To download an updated user guide please go to:
NB: You are still able to enter MDSv6 records for procedures which took place before 4th June 2018 and will be able to do so until the end of 2018.
You will be able to edit MDSv6 records til the end of 2019.
To access MDSv6 data entry go to the MDSv7 login page and select the option: "To enter a MDSv6 procedure carried out prior to 4th June 2018, or to edit an existing MDSv3, 4, 5 or 6 record click here.”
*** Since the release of MDSv7 on 4th of June, a number of improvements have been made to the data entry system.
- MDSv6 account locked out – if your MDSv6 account is locked, please contact the NJR Service Desk. The NJR Centre team will be able to unlock the account straightaway – you will no longer have to wait until the next day to use the account.
- Adding components - when landing on the component page the cursor will automatically appear in the component ‘Ref' field.
- Adding components - when scanning barcodes, the user can, as in MDSv6, scan all the required barcodes and add them all to the procedure with a single select.
- DAIR procedures - a number of questions are not applicable to these procedures. Inapplicable questions will be either greyed out or removed from the data entry screen. The paper forms (available as downloads from the NJR website) highlight which questions do not require a response when a DAIR procedure is selected.
Frequently Asked Questions
The update to MDSv7 has been done to reflect:
Changes in clinical practice
Relevance of existing data collection
The changes are in response to feedback from data collection staff and orthopaedic surgeons and were extensively reviewed by the NJR Minimum Dataset Working Group, chaired by Mr Matthew Porteous, and supported by the NJR Regional Clinical Coordinators Committee. The change proposals were sent to orthopaedic professional societies: BASK, BHS, BESS & BOFAS for review and approved by the NJR Steering Committee.
The changes have been designed to clarify and enhance NJR data quality rather than increasing the burden on data entry teams.
What are the changes to the MDS?
The following additional data and options will feature through the data entry process. For further details, please download the individual MDSv7 forms here:
Where do I find the new forms?
The new forms can be found in the links below, and directly from your NJR Regional Coordinator.
What should I do to prepare?
We recommend data entry users and HDMs to:
- Circulate and put into use new data collections above
- Note and raise awareness of the changes amongst data collection & processing teams within your hospital
- Ensure that all procedures carried out in FY 17/18 are reporting MDSv6 forms and are submitted by 31st May 2018
Can I use the MDSv7 forms now?
Yes, you can use MDSv7 forms before the 4th June 2018, but you will not be able to input them until the form goes live on that date. We recommend that you start using MDSv7 paper forms in April/May and use the time to ensure that all your MDSv6 forms are input before that date.
What happens if I have procedures carried out in FY17/18 not uploaded by the 31st May?
Once MDSv7 goes live on the 4th June 2018, any outstanding procedures will need to be transferred to MDSv7 forms. You will need to go back to the surgeon to get some information for the new MDSv7 form and then submit as normal. Ideally we would recommend you to start using the MDSv7 paper forms in April/May, ready for entering on the 4th June 2018.
If you would like to see a question and answer added to this page please email firstname.lastname@example.org