NJR patient blogs
One of our previous patient representatives, Sue Musson is the author of ‘Hippy Chick’ – a patient-focused blog, which she wrote to capture her experiences as a pre- and post-operative hip replacement patient.
“I am passionate about relevant and reliable information for patients who are facing procedures like joint replacement surgery. Like many diagnosed with osteoarthritis, I’ve found life is less mobile, but no less busy! That’s why finding helpful information is so important.
I thought it might help other patients to hear about my pre- and post-operative experiences and to provide some food for thought. I have certainly found comfort in the conversations I’ve been lucky enough to have with other joint replacement patients”
Read Sue’s instalments at www.njrhippychickblog.wordpress.com or find the links below:
- Post-Op Highland Fling!
- Happy 12-Week Birthday To My New Hip
- On Being a Patient Patient
- Early Recovery from Hip Replacement Surgery
- Excellent Care – Not so Excellent Facilities
- Home now
- More daunting decisions – what surgeon?
- Daunting decisions – what hospital?
- Diagnosis – a long and surprising road
- Pre-op assessment – again
- Poignant patient stories
- Pilates – perfect pre-op preparation
- An eye opening Hospital Education Session
- Being prepared for hip replacement surgery – a date with the pre-operative assessment team
- Bringing you to speed with my need for a hip replacement
Mike Swanson, who works for NEC Software Solutions, one of NJR’s contractors, is also known as ‘Kneedyman’, Mike has captured his experience as a total knee replacement patient. Mike works for the registry’s IT and data management contractor, Northgate Public Services, and admits he is ‘not the typical knee replacement patient’.
Find out about his story at www.kneedyman.wordpress.com.
- Situation Vacant – Home Help and General Factotum
- Hold the traffic – I’m home
- Now I know why the fuss – my knee hurts
- What was all the fuss about
- Bored, bored, bored
- Stop! I may need to postpone
- Packing can be such a chore
- Post-operative planning
- Pre-assessment – what did they do to me?
- Having time off: How on earth will they cope without me?
- Medical insurance: You cannot be serious…!
- Which surgeon and implant should I choose?
- I am not a typical knee replacement patient
External Patient Blogs
There are many other patient blogs online, here are a few below.
- ‘My Shoulder Replacement’ by Michelle – a 51-year-old female patient who has undergone a total replacement of her left shoulder and remained conscious during the operation.
- ‘Hip Hop – My Hip Story’ – by Elaine – a female patient who has undergone a right hip replacement.
Please note: We take no responsibility for information contained on external links from this website. Views expressed by individuals on their own webpages or on external sites they link to are not necessarily those of the NJR. See here for more details.
Questions and Patient-Blog Contributions
If you have a question for ‘Kneedyman’ Mike, then please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org as he may be able to answer you directly. If you would like the NJR to add a link to your own patient blog about experiences of hip, knee, ankle, shoulder or elbow joint replacement then please contact us at the email address above.